Many supposedly free antivirus programs lack even the most basic protection that today’s users require. What’s worse, some scammers also target victims by luring them with promises of the very antivirus support that’s supposed to protect their networks in the first place. With so much at stake, it’s more important than ever to work with a trusted provider
Applies to Avast Free Antivirus.
This article applies to:
Avast Free Antivirus for Windows is essential security software that prevents viruses, spyware, and other malicious threats from infecting your PC.
This article contains instructions to download and install Avaste Free Antivirus.
Install Avast Free Antivirus
- Ensure no other application or antivirus software is running on your PC.
- Click the button below to download the Avast Free Antivirus setup file, and save it in a familiar location on your PC (by default, downloaded files are saved to your Downloads folder).
- Right-click the downloaded setup file
avast_free_antivirus_setup_online.exeand select Run as administrator from the context menu.
Note:If you do not see the Run as administrator option, refer to the following article for instructions to manage administrative accounts on your PC:
- If prompted for permission by the User Account Control dialog, click Yes.
- To change the default setup language, click the current language in the top-right corner of the screen. Then, click Install to proceed with the default installation, or click Customize if you need to make changes to the default setup.
- Wait while setup installs Avaset Free Antivirus on your PC.
- Once the installation is complete, click Continue on the You’re protected screen.
- Click Run First Scan to trigger a comprehensive Smart Scan to detect viruses, malware, bad browser add-ons, and other issues on your PC.
Avast Free Antivirus is now installed on your PC and ready to use, but some components may not fully function until you restart your PC.
It is no longer necessary to register Avast Free Antivirus, as your initial free subscription automatically activates after installation.
If you experience any installation issues:
- Ensure your PC meets the minimum system requirements and your Windows is up-to-date.
Minimum system requirements:
- Windows 10 except Mobile and IoT Core Edition (32 or 64-bit); Windows 8/8.1 except RT and Starter Edition (32 or 64-bit); Windows 7 SP2 or higher, any Edition (32 or 64-bit).
- Windows fully compatible PC with Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon 64 processor or above (must support SSE2 instructions); ARM-based devices are not supported.
- 1 GB RAM or above.
- 2 GB free space on the hard disk.
- Internet connection to download, activate, and maintain program updates and antivirus database.
- Optimally standard screen resolution no less than 1024 x 768 pixels.
- Check that the downloaded setup file is not corrupted. For instructions, refer to the following article:
- Uninstall any previous antivirus software from your PC. For instructions, refer to the following articles:
- Restart your PC, then try to install Avaset Free Antivirus again by following the exact steps in this article.
If the issue persists, contact Avast Support and provide your setup log file. For instructions, refer to the following article:
- For more information about features available in Avast Free Antivirus, refer to the following article: